Saturday, August 14, 2010

JAPI(E)

One of my favourite stories, a jewel in Dutch literature is De Uitvreter by Nescio from 1918. In the beginning of the story the main character, the Uitvreter Japi, spends hours sitting at the waterfront in the village of Veere in Zeeland. At the end of the story Japi commits suicide by stepping of the railway bridge over the Waal river by Nijmegen. I thought about Japi quite a lot this week: last Saturday Mr and I walked along the waterfront in Veere and tonight we had dinner in Nijmegen overlooking the river Waal and the bridge. Both times it rained and bulky grey clouds made (mid-)day appear like dusk. The water reminded me of Japi's big blue eyes. And then I had to think of Japie: I named my first car, a matte light blue Volvo 240 DL from the early 80's, Japie, after the frat boy Jaap who sold it to me for $1000.

No comments:

Post a Comment